Friday, October 17, 2008

My Story: Why It Died...

I'm slave. Former rap fiend.

I'm going to tell you the truth:

I fell out of love with hip hop years ago.

Why did I? For a sincere reason: I needed a deeper worship life.

And I wanted the Christian Rap music that I loved to play a major part in it.

It wasn't doing it.

Worship-centered Hip hop never seemed a priority for many Christian MCs.

Most artists had lyrics *about* God -- true.

Or love. Or salvation. Or sins. Or social issues. Or themselves.

But could true worship break its way through?

I'll be honest, I lost patience. I got tired. I stopped digging.

I fell off because there were so few Christian Hiphop albums that would let me just sit down and bask in God's presence, uninterrupted, while I listened to the entire disc.

In fact, there were none.

I was desperate for continual intimacy with the Lord in my music life.

And for Gospel rap, it no longer moves me where I need to be.

So I did what I had to do. I was out.

0 comments: